Mennonite Girls Can Cook is a collection of recipes which were posted daily for a period of ten years from 2008 to 2018. We have over 3,000 delicious recipes that we invite you to try. The recipes can be accessed in our recipe file by category or you can use the search engine.

Recipe Search

Arroz Con Pollo

A few month ago I ordered the special in our favorite Mexican restaurant not sure even what I was ordering. I knew that Pollo was chicken and rice was involved so I knew it would be good. I enjoyed it so much that I spent a good part of the meal dissecting the flavours. I looked online for a recipe and was surprised to find many and so with the staples I had in the freezer and pantry I made a combination which we enjoyed very much.

  • 3 frozen or fresh skinless boneless chicken breasts or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion . .diced
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 796 ml or 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (you may use more after the sauce simmers a bit if you want it hotter
  • 1 cup of diced roasted sweet red peppers (or you could just use 1 diced pepper which you would then add with the onion)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  1. Cube the raw chicken into bite sized pieces.
  2. Heat a large saucepan to medium high and then add the olive oil and the chicken and brown it all over.
  3. Turn the heat down to medium.
  4. Add the onions and garlic and stir until the onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
  5. Add all the spices and and stir for a few minutes allowing the spices to blend.
  6. Add the tomatoes and chipotle peppers and diced roasted red pepper. (these could be blended if you want a smoother sauce. .we prefer our sauces chunky)
  7. Combine the room temperature chicken broth and flour until smooth and add to the rest of the sauce.
  8. Stir in the lime juice last and allow to simmer 15 minutes.
  9. Serve with hot rice. You can use soft flour tortilla shells to the chicken sauce in or .. just put the sauce over the rice. . sprinkling with some shredded lettuce and a bit of shredded cheese and some guacamole on the side with crispy tortilla chips.

13 comments:

  1. i love mexican food - this i ot tp try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the spanish word for rice is really "arroz."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this 'makeover' dish from the restaurant..looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a recipe for this dish, the one I have didn't taste good at all - I'll have to give yours a whirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Spanish food...making enchiladas today. I will be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like one to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job of dissecting Lovella! This looks real good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our kind of meal....I can taste it already. I have been so hungry for good Mexican...so this is on this weeks 'will make' list. Kathy (MGCC)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always game for anything Mexican...and this looks most delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know where I can purchase the minced chipotle peppers in adobe sauce? I have tried several grocery stores (including T&T) and have been unable to find it. Does it come in a jar, tube or ??
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ann,
    In Canada I buy small cans of chipotles in adobe sauce by the mexican food section ..by the salsas and so on.
    I have mostly bought mine at Safeway.. i hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made this for dinner last night and we loved it. I added a can of corn for colour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know! I love the idea of corn added in!

      Delete