Mennonite Girls Can Cook is a collection of recipes which were posted daily for a period of ten years from 2008 to 2018. We have over 3,000 delicious recipes that we invite you to try. The recipes can be accessed in our recipe file by category or you can use the search engine.

Recipe Search

Beef Bourguignon

Several weeks ago seven of us girls from MGCC got together for a movie night at Judy's place.
Since blogging and cooking is 'our thing' we decided to watch Julie and Julia, and we had a few good laughs as we saw ourselves through this movie.
I thought I'd like to try one of Julia Child's signature recipes; Beef Bourguignon.
This is no ordinary stew and I would not suggest it for your first attempt in cooking.
It was worth the time and effort!
The aroma was promising, the taste tester kept wanting to go back for more,
and the end result was perfection...robust flavor and fork tender stewing beef.
I did change the recipe up and modified the steps a little.
The photo does not do it justice, but I will be making this again and again!

Ingredients:
-2 tbsp bacon fat ( I saved this from bacon I had fried earlier)
-1 tbsp olive oil
-2 pounds lean stewing beef -cut into 2" cubes
-1 thinly sliced carrot
-1 thinly sliced onion
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-2 tbsp flour
-1 1/2 cups red wine
-1 1/2 cups apple juice
-2-3 cups brown beef stock or canned beef bouillon
-1 tbsp tomato paste
-2 cloves garlic, crushed
-1/2 tsp thyme
-1 bay leaf
-carrot sticks
-18-24 small white onions, brown braised in stock-see recipe below
-1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered and sauteed in butter (optional)
-fresh parsley

Step one:
Using paper towel dry off beef chucks. It will not brown if it is damp.
In a heavy fry pan heat bacon fat and oil until it almost starts to smoke. Saute beef chucks until nicely browned on all sides. The oil and juices of the meat should be quite dark. Sprinkle meat with salt, pepper and flour. Over medium heat toss to coat and stir until meat is crusted with flour (2-3 minutes) Remove and place in a heavy dutch oven or other heavy casserole dish.
In the same fat, brown the carrots and onions until they begin to caramelize. Place these on top of the beef.
Step two:
Pour the wine, apple juice and 2 1/2 cups of beef stock over meat and vegetables. Add the thyme, bay leaf, garlic and tomato paste. Stir together and place in 325ยบ oven. Regulate the heat so liquid simmers very slowly for 2 1/2-4 hours.
While beef is cooking, prepare onions and mushrooms.
Step Three: Brown Braised Onions
Peel the small while onions.
Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of each butter and cooking oil over medium heat. When butter begins to bubble add the peeled onions. Saute for 10 minutes stirring often, being careful that you don't break the onions thin skins. When they are nice and brown add the remaining 1/2 cup beef stock, a sprig of parsley and 1/2 bay leaf to the pan. Cover and simmer slowly for 45 minutes, or until the onions are perfectly tender but hold their shape, and almost all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and discard herbs. Add the onions to the beef. Add the fresh baby carrots or carrot sticks. (the little onions, mushrooms and carrots should be added when the beef cooks its last hour)
Step Four:
Wash and quarter mushrooms. In the same pan you braised the onions in add 1 1/2 tbsp butter. When it begins to bubble add the mushrooms. Stir, scraping any brown pits that may have been left in the pan from the onions. Saute mushrooms until a dark golden brown. Add this to the beef.
*at this point if you find the juice is too thin for your liking, scoop out 1/2 cup of juice and whisk in 1 tbsp of flour until it is very smooth. Slowly stir that back into your beef and continue to cook.
Continue to cook the beef mixture for at least another hour. (I cooked mind for a total of 4 hours.
Serving suggestions:
Serve Beef Bourginoun with boiled, riced or mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
Make sure you have lots of crusty bread to mop up the gravy...it should not go to waste!
Garnish with a sprig of parsley, and add another vegetable on the side.
Beef Bourguignon can be made the day ahead and reheated. Bring to a simmer and slowly simmer until it is hot, basting occasionally for about 20 minutes.









15 comments:

  1. I love Julie and Julia! What a perfect movie for us cooking/recipe bloggers huh? :) Eversince I saw this recipe in the movie, I've been wanting to try it. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too saw the movie and loved it. I found her actual blog and started reading it. Very interesting. I can say it truly inspired me to cook more but I won't be cooking myself through Julia's book anytime soon. :)

    I have been wanting to try this recipe so thank you for posting it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that movie - except i didnt get to see the whole thing because the dvd freaked out. Waiting for netflix to send another. The stew looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely on my list to do!...Maybe, I'll have to put it at the top of my list:) Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh .. it looks tasty. .I can just imagine the flavour must be fantastic. Your picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie, coupled with blogs like yours, has sparked my cooking duldrum I was in--- It was a long dry spell! My husband is quite pleased that I'm really cooking again! I guess I'm going to have to make the beef bourguignon! Maybe it would be a fun menu item for Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum... is all I can say. The French have found a way to make stew sound delicious. Bun then, this is no ordinary stew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy would I love a bowl of that right now. It looks fabulous Kathy and hats off to you for taking the time to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go, Kathy! How fun to try one of the recipes from the movie...and from Julia's collection. It looks most delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's sizzling in my mouth...I'm about to try something like that...this weekend. How motivational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, it looks as delicious as it did in the movie! How inspiring! I would loved to have been with all of you while you watched the movie, just to hear what you all said about it! (Mum and Angie and I watched it over the Christmas holiday!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely ready for a magazine spread! I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.
    I'm going to print,file it, and look for an opportunity to try it.
    Thanks!
    Aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made the original Julia recipe and yours was equally as good with your few changes. This was absolutely divine and will be making it again for sure. I absolutely love your blog and am so happy I came across it. I check every morning to see what's new.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the recipe from the cookbook and the changes I would make is less wine, the cookbook called about 3 cups or so. There was enough for a single glass to drink. I added about 1 lb boiled baby potatoes at the end, and I would add more carrots to the recipe. The baby carrots that someone suggested sounds like a good idea for next time.

    L. L. B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can this be cooked in a crock pot??

    ReplyDelete